This is a step by step article outlining the process to obtain the Peer Specialist Supervisor certification.
1. Check Eligibility Requirements
In order to gain PSS certification, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a QCC, LPHA, QMHP supervised by a QCC or LPHA, or a QPS supervised by a QCC or LPHA. Please read our additional article on eligibility requirements.
- Be able to pass a background check that follows the guidelines set for peer specialists by Texas Administrative Code. For an easy reference about background check requirements, look at our background check information article.
- Be able and willing to follow the ethical guidelines expected of peer specialist supervisors set by the Texas Administrative Code.
2. Attend 2-Day Training
Peer Specialist Supervisor training is a 2-day, in-person or online workshop that provides essential information for anyone providing supervision for Peer Specialists. In order to proceed with your state application, you must pass a knowledge assessment at the end of the course.
3. Start Your State Application
After you complete 2-day training, you must begin your application process. Applications for PSS certifications are handled digitally through the online module Certemy. There are multiple application options, depending on your level of education. Be sure to select the right one.
- Create an account through Certemy
- Complete the 10 steps required in your Certemy account, including the results of a federal background check.
- Once these steps are completed, wait for certification; you will be notified by the TCB when your application has been reviewed and approved.